Annapolis and the portions of Anne Arundel County that surround it are connected to the high-voltage grid through Baltimore Gas & Electric Company, which was integrated into PJM’s operations in 1956.
Population of Annapolis: 39,474*
Total BGE customers: Approx. 1.25 million**
Total amount of megawatt-hours used in BGE: 12,270,475***
Annapolis was originally named “Providence” when it was settled by the Puritans. It was also called “Anne Arundel’s Towne” until it was renamed Annapolis by Sir Francis Nicholson in honor of Princess Anne, soon to be Queen of England. The colony was charted as a city in 1708.
While Annapolis is known for the United States Naval Academy, the oldest college in the city is St. John’s College, which was founded in 1696 and is the third oldest college in the United States.
Maryland’s four signers of the Declaration of Independence were residents of Annapolis.
Annapolis was the temporary capital of the United States at the conclusion of the Revolutionary War in 1783. George Washington tendered his resignation as General of the Continental Army in the Annapolis State house at the end of the war.
Fun facts from the City of Annapolis.